July 23, 2009. Microsoft today signed off on the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) code for Windows 7, it’s newest version of Windows. RTM means that the code is finished and is now ready to be distributed to partners, installed on new PCs, and pressed on DVDs.
Windows 7 had its public beta period this year, with the public beta (build 7000) being released in mid January and the Release Candidate (RC and build 7100) released in May.
Other interesting dates:
- August 6 – MSDN and TechNet subscribers can download RTM
- August 7 – Existing customers with a Software Assurance (SA) license can download RTM
- August 16 – Certified/Gold Microsoft Partners can download RTM
- August 23 – Microsoft Action Pack subscribers can download RTM
- September 1 – Volume license customers without an SA license can purchase Windows 7
- October 22 – General consumer availability of Windows 7